Want to be published by Odyssey Books? Read on…
What types of books do you publish?
We love stories – real or imagined. We will consider most genres, topics, or formats. We’re looking to work with authors who love stories as much as we do, who are passionate about the art of storytelling, and who are willing to actively promote their work.
Our titles are simultaneously published in print and ebook formats using print-on-demand and online channels that distribute internationally. We only print what we need, where and when we need it, to reduce our carbon footprint and to minimise our overheads, meaning we can give opportunities to a greater number of authors.
We have three imprints:
– Odyssey Books: fiction, memoir, and narrative non-fiction (40,000-110,000 words)
– Publisher Obscura: novelty and picture books (Aus/NZ authors only)
– Ensorcellia: postcard-sized novellas (12,000-20,000 words) and chapbooks (minimum 5,000 words)
Do I need an agent?
An agent is not required; direct submissions are very welcome.
Do you pay an advance?
At this time we are unable to pay an advance.
Do I have to pay any fees to publish with you?
The publishing industry is constantly evolving, and so are we. We now have three models of publishing:
– Traditional: no upfront fees, industry royalty rates, marketing support, and bookstore distribution (in Australian brick-and-mortar stores, and worldwide online).
– Hybrid: you contribute to upfront costs of publication and receive 75% net royalties, with marketing support and bookstore distribution (in Australian brick-and-mortar stores, and worldwide online). Retain all subsidiary rights.
– Self-publishing: fee-for-service online publishing. Keep 100% of rights and royalties. We will guide you through the full process.
How do I submit my manuscript to you?
Odyssey incorporates green business practices as much as possible, as we are all too aware of the amount of paper waste that is produced by the book publishing industry. Therefore, we do not accept paper submissions, and you should submit your query via the form below. Please do not submit via email. Email submissions will be deleted unread.
Please note that all fields on the submission form marked with a red asterisk are mandatory fields. Please ensure you include a cover letter, full synopsis, and a detailed bio with your submission. Incomplete submissions will be deleted unread.
Only submit queries for manuscripts that are completed and polished, formatted in Times New Roman, 12pt, single-spaced in Microsoft Word format. Use indented paragraphs, and page breaks between chapters.
We don’t need your entire manuscript straightaway, just the first three or four consecutive chapters of your book will do nicely.
We aim to get back to you within 8-12 weeks for traditional/hybrid submission. Unfortunately we’re unable to provide feedback if we decide to pass on your manuscript.